Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Barry Bonds: I want to be that pitcher!

So, as the debut drags on about whether or not we should all be happy or upset with Barry Bonds and the inevitable fact that he's going to break the home run record, i have a different question.

First let me squeeze this in; I'm totally excited about Bonds and the mark! Its happening during my lifetime, i got to see a lot of Bonds' career and years down the road people will speculate, but i got to see it with my own eyes. I think it's great, steroids or not, Bonds is one of the best 5 players of all time, period!

So here's my question. Rumors are flying around about pitchers starting to walk Bonds, but would you want to be the pitcher when he breaks the record?

Say you're some no-name pitcher, like anyone on the Rockies staff for example, Josh Fogg, and Bonds has already tied the home-run mark. Now he's looking to break it. Most people would say "not on my watch" but i think that any publicity is good publicity.

Think about it, you'd be enshrined as the pitcher who gave up the record breaking home run. you wouldn't be banished or anything, heck, he's homered off like 400 different pitchers or something (including 8 homers off of Maddux, Smoltz, Mullholand, and Schilling respectively).

But your name would be forever attached to the record, in the books, in the articles, your picture in the paper.

It's not like you let the ball through your legs and cost your team and championship. This would be a midseason game, meaningless for the most part, and if you're a middle reliever, what do you have to lose?

think about it

I'd serve it up with a smile, here ya go Mr. Bonds. enjoy it. thanks for putting me on the map. thanks for leaving your coat tails in reach.

then I'd write a book about how it ruined my confidence, and how i have to go to counseling. tough life.

1 comment:

Falling off the Grid said...

well, i think you are right, even if he doesnt deserve the record. i would still like to be that pitcher. hey, its gotta be someone.