Monday, November 24, 2008

Mocha Club

So about a year ago Kass and I went to Boulder and got to see the Two Birds/One Stone tour featuring Matt Wertz, Dave Barnes and the Gabe Dixon Band. During the show, Matt and Dave took a few minutes to talk about Mocha Club, which is basically an organization that they put together to help raise money for projects in Africa. It was very interesting, the title implies that for the cost of two mocha's ($7) you could help this project (and cut back on expensive mocha's). A few weeks ago i was emailed and asked to help bring more attention to Mocha Club by blogging about it. I'm always a fan of easy/affordable/faith-based/passionate organizations, so i jumped at the chance to write about the program.



The first blog entry about Mocha Club is supposed to be about the concept of why 'I need Africa more than Africa needs me'. I think this brings me personally, back to the concept of short-term mission trips, trips i took in high school to Mexico over spring break or to Scotland for 10 days. While there is only so much one person can do in such a limited time, i personally was changed more than i anticipated.

I have been reading these blogs over at Compassion International, from some people who were asked to write about a short trip to Dominican Republic. One of the constant themes that comes up when people reflect on mission trips is the simple hope and faith people have even though they live in desperate situations. they're not caught up in theology, religion, or many of the issues that derail American Christians today, but they just simply believe, they have faith like a child. It's quite a lesson to be learned and this is why i think that i need Africa more than Africa needs me.

I need to get back to basics. I need to remember the poor and the oppressed. I need to not get caught up in the many materialistic things of our world, not get side-tracked with politics, not be distracted by different opinions, but to love others. I need Africa to show me what faith like a child looks like, what real suffering is, what hardship really means.

Share your thoughts in my comments, and even blog about it yourself. Join in the worthwhile cause of recasting the damaging images that force pity over partnership. I am one of many bloggers writing about Mocha Club, and i will be writing again on December 1st. I really encourage you to check organizations like Mocha Club out.

2 comments:

ChasePlace said...

Thanks for writing about this organization. I hadn't yet heard about it and am so passionate about learning more about organizations like this, especially in Africa. Africa is such a rich, beautiful land with so much to offer. I can't get enough!

Unknown said...

I'd be interested to learn more specifically why I need Africa more than Africa needs me.

Doesn't such vague, altruism-based marketing work for any X in the formula "I need X more than X needs me?"